7 open source projects worth checking out in 2023
Never miss another article
Get blog posts delivered directly to your inbox
The open-source community is a thriving ecosystem of people who share their knowledge and resources with each other in order to make the world a better place. There are open-source projects that are awesome alternatives to proprietary SaaS solutions, and in this blog post, we want to highlight some of the most promising ones that are worth checking out in 2023.
- Strapi - headless CMS
- Hoppscotch - API development ecosystem
- Rocket.Chat - communications platform
- MeiliSearch - lightning-fast search engine
- Appwrite - secure backend server
- n8n - workflow automation tool
- Medusa- e-commerce engine
Strapi - Open Source Alternative to Contentful
Strapi is a headless content management system (CMS) built with Node.js that helps developers store and deliver content for web and mobile applications. Strapi provides a flexible and customizable backend where you can create your content and then consume it through APIs. This allows developers to separate the content management from the frontend application, giving more flexibility and control over the content that’s delivered.
Strapi integrates with many services and frameworks, like React, Gatsby, Vue, Angular, etc. to help you build your own custom web applications in minutes.
It comes with a number of features that make it easy to use, such as:
- A user-friendly UI for creating and managing content
- Support for multiple types of content, including text, images, and files
- The ability to customize the content model and fields to fit your specific needs
- Role-based access control to ensure that only authorized users can make changes to the content
- A powerful GraphQL API for retrieving content in your application
Overall, Strapi is a powerful tool for developers looking to build modern applications with flexible and customizable back-end content management.
Hoppscotch - Open Source Alternative to Postman
Hoppscotch is an open-source API development ecosystem for building and using APIs. It simplifies each step of the API lifecycle and helps you create, test, maintain and share the APIs.
Hoppscotch is a powerful tool that allows developers to quickly and easily test their APIs and make sure they are working correctly. It makes it easier for developers to debug their code and helps them identify any potential issues before they go live.
Hoppscotch also makes it easier for developers to collaborate on projects as they can share their tests with each other, allowing them to work together on projects more efficiently. This means that teams can spend less time debugging and more time creating great products. Hoppscotch also supports multiple formats such as JSON, XML, YAML, and GraphQL which makes it suitable for any project.
Rocket.Chat - Open Source Alternative to Slack, Microsoft Teams, Discord
Rocket.Chat is a real-time chat platform that's open source and free to use. It offers a range of features for real-time communication, including instant messaging, audio and video calls, file sharing, and integrations with other tools.
Rocket.Chat can be used for a variety of purposes, such as team collaboration, customer support, and online communities. It is designed to be highly customizable and can be used on desktop computers and mobile devices. Rocket.Chat is a popular alternative to proprietary team communication tools like Slack and Microsoft Teams.
Here are some reasons why you might choose to use Rocket.Chat over other team communication tools:
- Open-source: the source code is available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute.
- Customization: Rocket.Chat is highly customizable, with a range of options for setting up and organizing channels, permissions, and integrations. This can make it easier to tailor the platform to your specific needs and workflow.
- Integrations: with a variety of other tools, such as Google Calendar, Trello, and GitHub, which can make it easier to manage your work and collaborate with your team.
- Cost: being a free and open-source tool, makes it an appealing option for teams on a budget.
- Security: Rocket.Chat is designed with security in mind and offers features like end-to-end encryption and passwordless authentication to help keep your data safe.
MeiliSearch - Open Source Alternative to Algolia, Elasticsearch
MeiliSearch is an open-source search engine that is designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. It is built using Rust, a programming language that is known for its performance and reliability. MeiliSearch aims to provide a simple and powerful search experience for developers, with features like faceted search, typo tolerance, and support for multiple languages. It can be easily integrated into web applications and supports REST and GraphQL APIs.
MeiliSearch is a relatively new tool, but it has gained popularity for its simplicity and performance. It can be a useful tool for improving the search functionality of your web application and helping users find the content they are looking for.
Appwrite - Open Source Alternative to Firebase
Appwrite is a self-hosted, open-source, and API-first platform that helps you develop and manage your web and mobile applications faster. Appwrite provides a set of modular and easy-to-use API endpoints, SDKs, and tools that abstract and simplify many of the low-level and time-consuming tasks and workflows associated with building modern applications.
Some of the features and capabilities of Appwrite include:
- API endpoints for user authentication and management, database management, storage, and file handling.
- Tools for managing your Appwrite instance, including an admin console, a database manager, and a file browser.
- Support for different database engines, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.
- Built-in support for serverless functions, which can be used to run custom code in response to specific events or triggers.
Overall, Appwrite aims to provide a comprehensive and easy-to-use platform for building and deploying modern applications quickly and efficiently.
n8n - Open Source Alternative to Zapier, Make
n8n is an open-source, low-code workflow automation tool that allows you to create and automate tasks and processes using a visual interface. It is designed to be highly flexible and extensible and can be used to connect to a wide variety of applications and services.
Medusa Commerce - Open Source Alternative to Shopify, BigCommerce
Medusa Commerce is an open-source e-commerce platform that provides a modern and flexible alternative to traditional e-commerce solutions. It is built with Node.js, making it easy to integrate with existing applications and services.
Medusa.js is designed to be highly customizable, allowing users to create custom stores, products, and features that fit their specific needs. Additionally, the platform offers a wide range of features such as payment processing, order management, inventory tracking, customer relationship management (CRM), analytics tools, marketing automation tools, and more.
Medusa also provides two storefronts, one built with Gatsby and one with Next.js, which are open-source static-site generators for your e-commerce website. You can build your own storefront with any other frontend framework as well.
With its flexibility and scalability, Medusa Commerce is an ideal solution for businesses of all sizes looking for an efficient way to manage their online store.
Self-host your favorite open-source projects
Self-hosting open-source solutions is a great way to take control of your own infrastructure and data and keep it secure and private. It allows you to deploy the software on your own server or cloud platform, such as AWS, and customize it to meet your needs.
Open-source solutions are becoming increasingly popular for businesses looking to save money on software development costs while still having access to high-quality code. With self-hosted open-source solutions, you have the flexibility to customize the setup according to your needs. This gives you more control over your system's security, performance, scalability, and cost.
With Microtica’s production-ready templates, you can now self-host many of these open-source projects on your AWS account and have a production-ready environment from the get-go.
Here are some of the benefits of hosting open-source alternatives on your own AWS account with Microtica:
- Quick setup without the need for AWS expert knowledge.
- Infrastructure and data ownership, as everything is provisioned on your own AWS account.
- Built-in AWS well-architected best practices for security, compliance, and performance.
- Real-time monitoring of app and infrastructure deployments, resource consumption, memory, as well as pipeline logs.
- Save on AWS costs by using our AWS Cost Optimizing solution that will turn off unused instances. Also, contact us for a free consultation on how to benefit from AWS free credits.
The open-source community is a great place to learn and contribute to projects that are important to you. The world needs more quality open-source software that can be integrated into any project or organization at scale. Let us know if you have any additional tools that you use and feel should be included.